dadbloggit

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Guilt revisited

Starting to wonder (with some prompting) whether this blog seems too self-pitying and I am taking some things for granted. I really do have a good life as a father and husband; while some friends and acquaintances have expressed admiration that I am involved with Oliver to the degree that I am, I shouldn't forget that he still spends more time with his mother and that she does the majority of the care-giving, especially during the day. I am grateful to my mother-in-law for taking care of him 2 days and 2 nights of most weeks, which gives me and my wife Mimi the chance to get things done and if we're sensible, get some extra sleep.

Mimi often thanks me for getting up to attend to Oliver when he wakes at 2 AM, or 4 AM, but it has become second nature to me and really seems a more practical thing to do than to try to continue sleeping or assume that she'll take care of things. When he wakes up closer to 5 or 6 and I feed him and bring him to our bed, Mimi sometimes says she feels left out when Oliver falls asleep with his arms around me, but I would rather have that happen than be the kind of dad who never gets up or resents having to share the bed with his child.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home